Development Seminars to Support Junior Athlete-Coach Pairs
08 November 2019
Athletics NI have announced 3 development seminars that will support coaches of teenage athletes in combined events, throws, horizontal jumps and sprints. The seminars will be appropriate for coaches who have teenage athletes attending weekly event group development sessions.
We also welcome any other interested coaches to the seminars which will take place once per term. Through ongoing coach and athlete development opportunities Athletics NI aim to develop a community of practice within each event group and leverage available expertise in Northern Ireland.
The short seminars will take place at Ulster University, Jordanstown in the Sports Institute boardroom immediately following the Event Group sessions on the gym/track. Tom Reynolds, Laura Kerr & Adam McMullen will outline the themes of the 2019-2020 squads for junior athletes and provide rationale for the physical preparation and technical components for this age group whilst also facilitating group discussion.
Saturday 16th November-Planning for Combined Events- 3.15-4.30pm
Tom Reynolds and Laura Kerr who worked closely supporting European U20 Heptathlon Silver medallist Kate O’Connor and her father over the last 5 years will explain their philosophy and approach to planning and long term development for multi events including:
- Minimum dose skill focussed training for Junior Combined events athletes
- Early exposure to competition
- Periodisation and annual planning
- Technical Development
- Integration of weekly training components (S&C, aerobic, speed, throws, hurdles, jumps, recovery)
- Communication strategies to manage the team supporting a CE athlete
To reserve your place email email@example.com
Saturday 23rd November-Speed and Horizontal Jumps 3.15-4.30 pm
In this seminar which is appropriate for athletes, coaches and parents Adam McMullen who leads weekly Youth Academy & Event Group sessions will discuss development of teenage sprinters and horizontal jumpers including:
- Session planning for winter training.
- Technical matches and mismatches for Sprinters and Jumpers.
- Development of training sessions for developmental athletes.
- How to combine Horizontal Jumpers and Sprinters sessions.
- Further details and rationale for S&C.
Adam is an international athlete with a long jump PB of 7.99m and as well as having competed at the Commonwealth Games himself, Adam has coached teenage sprinters to international level-Lauren Roy competed at the Senior European Indoor Championships in the 60m last year whilst still at school.
This session will take place immediately after the Saturday training sessions so food will be provided.
To reserve your place email firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday 23rd November-Throws (Javelin & shot) 4.15-5.30pm
In this seminar which is appropriate for athletes, coaches & parents Laura Kerr who leads the weekly event group sessions for Shot and Javelin will discuss development of teenage throwers including:
- First principles of performance in shot and javelin
- Developing athleticism for throws
- Planning your training week and your year
- Preparing for competition
This session will take place immediately after the Saturday throws sessions so food will be provided. Any coaches who do not currently have athletes in the Throws squads are also welcome to attend and observe the training sessions beforehand 12-4pm.
Reserve your place by emailing email@example.com